What to do after an auto accident
If you have never been in an auto accident, you might not be sure of the exact steps to take if you ever are faced with the unfortunate scenario. Below is a list of steps that you should keep in mind on what to do if you get into an accident.
1. Check for injuries
First, check yourself to see if you have been injured. After your self-assessment, check with the other passenger(s) to see if they are injured.
2. Call 911
This is important even if it’s a small accident. Some states legally require you to call the police. The responding officer will fill out an accident report. Your insurance might ask for the accident report to help with the claims process.3. Collect the following information:
- The other drivers’ name, address, phone number, and email
- Name(s), address(es), phone number(s), and email(s) of all other passengers in the other vehicle
- Take photos of the damage to both vehicles, the other vehicles’ license plate, and the other drivers’ license and insurance card
- Name(s), address(es), and phone number(s) of any witnesses that come forward
- The responding officer’s name
4. Call a tow truck
Assess if you’re able to drive your car or not. If your car is not drivable, then you need to call a tow truck.5. Call your insurance company and file a claim
Why is this important?
- Claims can be investigated more thoroughly and handled in a shorter timeframe for both parties
- Helps your insurance company control how much may be paid out on the claim, and less of a chance that there is an issue with the insurance limits of the insured
- Helps prevent against potential fraud